Pages

About Me and My Blog and Amazon Store

My photo
Langley, BC, Canada
I love to read. I love books. I like to talk about books and recommend them. I read everything including cereal boxes and junk mail! I heard once that if you're not reading at least 3 books at a time you're not reading enough! This blog will keep track of the books I've read and whether or not I liked them. It will be a little bit of everything from Christian fiction to Science fiction and fantasy. Feel free to participate by suggesting books to review and giving your comments. Occasionally I am given free books by Publishers in exchange for a review. I am not told how to review them or compensated in any way for the review.

Monday, August 3, 2009

Quaker Summer by Lisa Samson

The book opens with Heather coming face to face with a past that she has tried to bury. Her life as a young wife and mother living in a mansion on a lake seems perfect. So what if she has a shopping addiction, doesn't everyone? So what if her relationship with her church and God seems hollow, it's just a busy stage of life, right? She knows she has "issues" and some problems but life is just too busy to deal with all of this now. She'll do it later. Then she confronts her past and her present starts to crumble.

It's interesting (to me at least) that my first review is a Christian novel. Traditionally I've had low expectations of Christian Fiction as a genre finding it to be mostly shallow and preachy. My views are slowly changing with authors like Ted Dekker and now Lisa Samson (whose book is nothing like Ted Dekker's just to be clear!)

What I loved about this book is that the life questions are confronted head on and there are no easy, pat answers. Heather has to completely redefine her life and her walk with God to start down a path that ulitmately makes sense to her. The characters are well written and likeable. There is action and angst. There is humor. There is a christianity that is messy but believable and desirable. God comes through in these pages for Heather.

This book will make you laugh and cry but mostly it will make you think and for me that is the sign of a great book. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I am excited to be your first blog follower! I think I would like this book and will put it on my list of future reads. Unlike you, my sister, I like to read one book at a time, savouring the details. Also, thanks for not giving the story away with your review...I hate it when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, good for you! I love to read but, as you know, have a different philosophy on what is worthwhile and what isn't. Or perhaps my mind can't filter quite as well as yours . . . whatever the difference is, I will gladly keep posted and enjoy your offerings :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shari, it has always amazed me how you can keep a number of books going at the same time. And to also keep them all straight! I will enjoy keeping up on your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shari,

    Great review! and I'm glad you're starting a blog and sharing your writing talent with us. I enjoyed this book as well (although I didn't think I would at first since I have this thing about books written in the first person)

    ReplyDelete