Pages

About Me and My Blog and Amazon Store

My photo
Langley, BC, Canada
I love to read. I love books. I like to talk about books and recommend them. I read everything including cereal boxes and junk mail! I heard once that if you're not reading at least 3 books at a time you're not reading enough! This blog will keep track of the books I've read and whether or not I liked them. It will be a little bit of everything from Christian fiction to Science fiction and fantasy. Feel free to participate by suggesting books to review and giving your comments. Occasionally I am given free books by Publishers in exchange for a review. I am not told how to review them or compensated in any way for the review.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Homicide in Hardcover by Kate Carlisle

Homicide in Hardcover is the first in a new mystery series called The Bibliophile’s Mystery series. The main character is Brooklyn Wainwright. She’s a bookbinder specializing in restoring rare books. She’s single, quirky, and reminds me a bit of a Sue Grafton’s Kinsey Milhone of the Alphabet murders. Unlike Kinsey who is an orphan, Brooklyn has 5 brothers and sisters and parents who live on a commune.

A prominent book binder and Brooklyn’s mentor is murdered while he was working on restoring a valuable copy of Faust. Brooklyn is asked to continue the restoration and also gets involved in trying to find out who killed her mentor. Also included are good looking detectives, more quirky friends and lots of new age lingo.

There are lots of literary references and it was interesting to read about how books are restored. The series has the potential to be a good one although it took me a while to warm up to the characters. But the book is entertaining and has nice touches of humour and romance. I think this will be a fun series to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment