Pages

About Me and My Blog and Amazon Store

My photo
Langley, BC, Canada
I love to read. I love books. I like to talk about books and recommend them. I read everything including cereal boxes and junk mail! I heard once that if you're not reading at least 3 books at a time you're not reading enough! This blog will keep track of the books I've read and whether or not I liked them. It will be a little bit of everything from Christian fiction to Science fiction and fantasy. Feel free to participate by suggesting books to review and giving your comments. Occasionally I am given free books by Publishers in exchange for a review. I am not told how to review them or compensated in any way for the review.

Sunday, May 8, 2011

One was a Soldier by Julia Spencer-Fleming

This is the latest installment in the Rev. Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne series. Clare has just returned from a tour of duty in Iraq as a helicopter pilot. She resumes her pastoral duties and relationship with the Chief of Police. Despite telling everyone that she is “just fine” she’s not fine. She joins a therapy group specializing in war vets and helping them reintegrate back into their regular lives. The therapy group might have been successful if the participants weren’t so invested in making sure everyone knew they were “fine”. Of course all this stuffing of real feelings eventually begins to seep out and they all start to unravel in their own ways.

As is usual in this series there is a good mixture of the sacred and secular. Clare’s faith is a very real one and her failures are very real ones as well. The characters in this series are flawed and in this book the flaws are visible to everyone but the character. The plot centers around a very good mystery but the sub plots are about dealing with transition and loss.

The author uses a strategy that I’m seeing more in more in novels which is to tell the story moving back and forth in time. I find it a bit disconcerting to start with until I’ve figured out the sequence of events. On a Kindle it’s not so easy to flip pages back and forth and I wish I’d remembered that the table of contents was organized by dates; that might have helped me orient myself in the beginning. But after a while the story is good enough to not be distracted by the style.

This is a solid entry in this series and the ending suggests that series will continue which makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment