Pages

About Me and My Blog and Amazon Store

My photo
Langley, BC, Canada
I love to read. I love books. I like to talk about books and recommend them. I read everything including cereal boxes and junk mail! I heard once that if you're not reading at least 3 books at a time you're not reading enough! This blog will keep track of the books I've read and whether or not I liked them. It will be a little bit of everything from Christian fiction to Science fiction and fantasy. Feel free to participate by suggesting books to review and giving your comments. Occasionally I am given free books by Publishers in exchange for a review. I am not told how to review them or compensated in any way for the review.

Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Principle of the Path by Andy Stanley

The Principle of the Path is not rocket science or even a brilliant new way of looking at the Will of God. What it is though, is a very readable and thoughtful book about choosing the right paths in life. If you have a high school or college or grad in your family this year, this is the book I would suggest getting for them to read.

He talks about how good intentions aren’t the fuel that’s needed to reach the destinations we choose. His premise is that the path determines the outcome. For example if you’re on a path that is leading to an unhealthy lifestyle, that’s the destination you will reach no matter how much you may want to be healthy. You need to choose another path, i.e. a healthy lifestyle to get the desired destination.

The rest of the book fleshes out that premise. There are plenty of biblical stories and illustrations that help to prove his point. One part that particularly resonated with me was his statement that “Divine direction begins with unconditional submission. Not information” (pg.88). I think most of us would prefer the information first but that’s not always how it works.

Ultimately there’s nothing new in this book especially if you’ve been a Christian for a long time and have done a lot of reading on finding the will of God. However, what makes this book worth picking up is its readability and common sense approach. There’s something here for everyone who needs help in finding the right path.

No comments:

Post a Comment