Pages

About Me and My Blog and Amazon Store

My photo
Langley, BC, Canada
I love to read. I love books. I like to talk about books and recommend them. I read everything including cereal boxes and junk mail! I heard once that if you're not reading at least 3 books at a time you're not reading enough! This blog will keep track of the books I've read and whether or not I liked them. It will be a little bit of everything from Christian fiction to Science fiction and fantasy. Feel free to participate by suggesting books to review and giving your comments. Occasionally I am given free books by Publishers in exchange for a review. I am not told how to review them or compensated in any way for the review.

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Books and Technology

It occurred to me today that I’m reading 3 different books in 3 different ways. Currently I’m listening to Catherine Coulter’s FBI thriller, Blow-Out on my IPod while I walk on the treadmill. I’m also reading the Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin (doesn’t that make you wonder what the R.R. stands for?) on my Kindle and I’ve just started the Paradise Prophecy by Robert Browne which is an actual book sent to me by Penguin Publishing for review.

Ever since I was little, I’ve had a book in my hands. I remember doing dishes with a book propped up on the window sill; sitting in a corner reading at Christmas time when everyone else was talking or playing games and of course reading in every room of the house including the bathroom. There were times when I couldn’t read though, for instance in a car on a long trip. Instant car sickness. I still get motion sickness if I’m not driving, but now I can listen to books on my IPod. The Game of Thrones is a series 4 big paperbacks which would be bulky to take on a trip; now I can take them on my Kindle along with a bunch of other books.

Book snobs say that the only way to read a book is to have a physical copy in your hands. I have to respectfully disagree. Technology hasn’t weakened the reading world but strengthened it. What do you think? Are you embracing the new reality of books and technology?

1 comment: